Tuesday, January 4, 2022

To err is human

What makes a human being a decent human being? We're all told and taught never to lie, cheat and steal since young but just how many of us can stand proudly with our heads held high and proclaim we have never done any of the above. And when we lie, cheat and steal, does it make us less a decent human being? 

When men first quoted 'to err is only human', was this spoken out of finding excuses for us when we do something wrong? Or was this said with love and understanding that to be imperfect is merely human and that we are all prone to make mistakes. What mistakes then are unforgivable? 

To murder is to end one's life. To rape is to destroy one's life. How is it that one is punishable by death (in some countries) while the other not? How did we decide the gravitas of malicious deeds, and what criteria did we use to decide on the ideal punishment? Who are we to decide what's what anyway? 

And when one errs, does taking responsibility for what you did, owning what you did give you more brownie points? I don't think so--at least this is the punishment I have decided upon for myself. That I will live to be guilt-stricken, to be constantly reminded that I'm not as decent as I thought I was. I have a condition that doesn't help me regulate my emotions which resulted in things I have said and done which the sober/unagitated me would never have. But that doesn't mean I couldn't have made a choice at that very moment when the malicious words were said and deeds done. It's a lot for me to clam down and to not spiral down my borderline rage funk, but I could have, I could have been stronger to fight this. 

To err is human; to forgive is divine.

No comments: