Sunday, July 5, 2009

It is hard to digest the fact that He has left us, about as hard to stomach as a tray of jolokia peppers. And his abrupt departure, just as blimey as him as a whole, stopped the world for a good whole morning. In the event of receiving this tough piece of news, I was rooted to the ground for a good whole minute and my mind went blank.

I started this one sided affair when I was 9. When CDs were a lavish sort of luxury, I was a proud owner of his Dangerous album in cassette form. Every day without fail, the first thing I did after I got home from school, was to plug my earphones in, and listen to the entire album again, again and again. If you should ever play just this one album, I can tell you exactly where he's going to "hee" or "wooh".

I believe that there are a handful of people out there who are as affected as I am, that entering his name in the Google search engine seems as mandatory as our morning cuppa. The thought of his demise is unbearable because I think the music industry can never get enough of him, and it will never be the same again.

By choosing to believe that he indeed wanted to go is probably the best appeasement I could find for myself. Because as what a friend of mine had noted, “how can someone who changed his entire skin color not prevent a cardiac arrest?" I believe he was getting tired of his controlled and scrutinised life, tortured and distorted by the 5th estate, finally.

Just as I was eagerly anticipating his next world tour, just when I was waiting for another good album, just when I was waiting for him to come on to this stage of his to enthral again, he left me with a sense of loss so unfamiliar.

While a clout still hangs over who the next incumbent as the epitome of showmanship may be, perhaps we should let this sense of loss hover because for a few of us, the world had indeed stopped. For another hefty millions more, theirs crashed.

No comments: